5. My New Life Without Pain Meds

Now to learn what Fibromyalgia really is. Research time! Get out the notebooks, start interviewing anyone who will talk to me. Get out the phone! Sleep, good grief I'm tired! Good thing I'm taking notes! Hunting online! Good thing I can identify bad research, there sure is a lot of it out there and some really funny stuff too. It's almost like 'did you hear the one about ... '

I really hate that because I know that there are gullible people out there who are going to believe these things and then are going to be let down. It looks like I'm going to have to write articles because there are a lot of holes, a lot of holes. 

This is how I kept myself going during this time. Researching and letting God lead me and guide me. The Doctors kept trying me on this medicine and that medicine and I simply could not take them. I reacted so badly. I could hardly walk because of the RSD/CRPS so I was sent to Physical Therapy. I went to one and wasn't overly impressed, but I went. I can't say that they really did a lot for me, but they were with the Clinic and I think that they weren't all that involved with me. I was feeling weak and didn't feel like I was really gaining. 

I started coughing and nothing I did could stop the coughing. My chest was really hurting, so I went to the Doctor. By the time we went, I could hardly sit up for more than 2 minutes, so I might have waited a bit long. Breathing was getting really hard as well. When I registered, the woman took one look at me and told me to sit down immediately. As soon as I sat down, the nurse was there to hold my arm and help me to the closest room. The Doctor was in the room waiting. She listened to my chest, took my temp and announced I had Legionnaires Disease. How I got that I have no idea!

I was immediately put in the hospital where I was put on oxygen. I was also put on IV antibiotics and the Respiratory Dept came 3 times a day. So much for any kind of sleep. When I got home, I was told I was to be on bed rest for at least a week. Well grand. Life just could not get worse!

My cousin came to live with us, so it was easy to stay in bed, but one night I wanted to tell Bob something. Just as I got to the doorway, my knees gave out. I fell like a lead balloon! My right foot turned upside down and I ended up with an entire foot bruise on my bottom. I broke the 3 middle bones on the top of my foot about an eighth of an inch from my ankle. Boy oh boy did I scream! And scream! And cough! Bob came running, took one look at me and got the wheelchair. It was a struggle getting me into that thing. He took me to the couch, propped my foot up and went and got some ice. By the time he got back it was already swelling so I said I thought we better wrap it.

three hours later we were at the ER. I said, 'since I think I just sprained it, watch I broke a bone.' The Doctor walked in just then and said '3 actually' Life was not going the right direction at all!

The next day, we went to a foot ortho. I just loved him! He looked at me and said that I was headed to surgery. I was afraid the RSD would come back. He also said I would need a plate. I had to wait a week though until the swelling went down. 

I was back on pain pills, but I told him I only wanted hydrocodone and nothing stronger. I was so disappointed. I didn't want anything, but I couldn't stand the pain. Anyway, to surgery we went. I remember very little. I know we did not have to have a plate. He didn't have to even open the skin. He said that he was able to manipulate the bones into place without having to open me up and put in a plate.  So I was put into a cast for 12 weeks and then a boot for another 8 weeks and then a cane for another 8 weeks. It took forever to heal. Then I got off the pain pills again.

About a year later, I got pneumonia and back on bedrest I went. This time, my caretakers were my daughter-in-law and my Granddaughter. My foot was still sore, so I was supposed to have it raised for swelling, my Fibro was misbehaving, I felt like crap and I was thirsty as can be. So one day, my caregivers were very late, like over an hour, and I was so dry I needed something to drink so bad, so I thought I can get my own drink. It doesn't take that long. I called my daughter so if something happened, I'd have her on the phone. With cane in the other hand, I headed for the kitchen. I leaned the cane against the counter and the phone on the counter on speaker phone. Then I held on to the counter as I opened the Frig and got out the tea pitcher. I poured the tea into my glass and then my knees gave out again and down I went. The phone landed on the floor, the glass landed on the floor just right, the pitcher however, landed between my legs upside down and it was so cold. I landed on the floor, holding my left hand out to try to catch myself and yelled 'ow, ow, ow, ow, .....' My daughter kept saying 'Mom do you need help, Mom, Mom, Mom...' I said 'Yes call Daddy...' and then I passed out for about 10 minutes.

Deb Lundquist

After 20 years of living with this as a roommate, I feel I know Fibromyalgia well. Now, it is my passion to help people with Fibromyalgia and chronic pain take back control of their lives.